Now the Department of Passport, Nepal has started issuing e-passport instead of Machine Readable Passports (MRP). However, MRP system is still used sporadically but will be phased out eventually. The Embassy has recently installed the e-passport facilities, therefore, the service seekers can now visit the Embassy in-person to apply for the e-passport. The e-passport system is based on biometrics where the applicant’s fingerprint & signature will be collected electronically and a live photo will be taken. The documents required to make/renew new passport are as follows:
- Copy of existing passport/original existing passport
- Citizenship Certificate/Copy of citizenship certificate
- Visa documents issued by the host government authority.
- For the lost passport the applicant has to submit the local police report.
- The passport fees for new passport is US $ 80 /Sri Lankan Rupees 28,720/- (subject to revision according to exchange rate). For the lost passport, double fees is charged (US $ 160).
For detail information, please visit The Department of Passport of Nepal